The ancient grain that everybody loves.
It’s just so easy to make. Is super versatile and friendly for lots of different dietary needs. Because this grain (actually a seed) is gluten free it is also wonderfully easy to digest. I love this recipe because the flavor is bright, refreshing and cooling. The mint, parsley, lemon and orange juice make it tangy but also add to the nutritional value of the dish.
One of my favorite things to note is how parsley is not only a blood cleanser but also removes heavy metals from the body. I can’t tell you how good this dish is for you. Just try it and make a staple.
Refreshing Quinoa Salad
Cook time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
- 2 cups of organic tri-color or white quinoa
- 1 cup of walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup of loosely packed fresh organic parsley
- a handful of diced fresh organic mint
- 1 large organic pink lady apple
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper
- 2 tsp organic pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 5 oz. lemon juice
- 8 oz. orange juice
- 3 1/4 cups of purified water
- a drizzle of olive oil
- in a stainless steel mesh strainer, rinse and sift quinoa under running water for about a minute to remove debris and saponin
- lightly toast 2 cups of quinoa in a large pot on medium low heat; be careful not to burn
- once quinoa is toasted, pour 3 1/4 cups of water into the pot and bring to a boil uncovered
- once the quinoa is at a rolling boil, cover and bring to medium low; add 1 tsp of salt and cook until all the liquid is absorbed
- while the quinoa is cooking, chop all of your veggies into small cubes including the apple, and toss into a large mixing bowl
- finely chop the parsley and mint and add to the veggies
- toss in the walnuts, curry powder, lemon and orange juice, and remaining 2 tsp of salt; mix well
- once the quinoa is finished cooking, remove the lid and turn the heat off; allow to cool for a minute or two
- add cooled quinoa to the veggie mix in the large mixing bowl; stir and add more salt or lemon juice to taste
- drizzle on about a tablespoon or two of extra virgin cold pressed organic olive oil
- serve and enjoy!